Cincinnati fired trainer John Brannen following a workout safety issue

Cincinnati accused the former basketball coach of intimidating players, paying special benefits to a player, and endangering or disregarding the well-being, health and safety of his players. This emerges from documents released by the Cincinnati Enquirer on Monday.

The university, which fired Brannen on April 9, issued a written reprimand shortly before the start of the season. Sports director John Cunningham reportedly explained the reasons for the firing to Brannen in a letter the day he fired him – days after he was taken on administrative leave.

“While the university is still investigating your conduct and other reasons for dismissal may become apparent, it is clear at this point, among other things, that you have failed to enter an atmosphere of compliance with the men’s basketball program Regarding rules to promote. ” Regulations and guidelines and have continued to endanger and / or disregard the well-being, health and safety of athletes despite written reprimands, “Cunningham wrote in the letter via the Cincinnati Enquirer.

“In addition, for a sports student who does not have approved channels, you have performed, tried, arranged, or otherwise paid for any special service to a sports student in one or more practices without adequate precautions for the health and safety of the players and repeatedly violating the guidelines violated the time management plan and not disclosed to the university regarding your actions. “

Brannen shot after two seasons

Brannen was fired after only two seasons in Cincinnati. He finished with a 32-21 record, leading them to the AAC regular season title in his first season. However, the program only ran 12-11 last season.

Six players announced last season that they were leaving Brannen’s program, four of whom were newbies.

The story goes on

The university did not set out in detail the allegations or reasons for Brannen’s dismissal at this point, only saying that it did so “after a thorough review of our program”.

The reprimand came after Brannen reportedly conducted “unauthorized conditioning” shortly before the start of the season that violated Cincinnati’s guidelines and was “excessively strenuous” and resulted in several student athletes failing to complete a timed run and requiring one student athlete to dated Court to be helped. “

According to Cunningham, that exercise didn’t end until a trainer stepped in and stopped it because of “concerns about the safety and well-being of athletic students”. A player required medical attention after doing this exercise.

Cunningham put Brannen on April 3rd and released him on April 9th.

Brannen denies again allegations

Brannen said after his release that the weeks leading up to that decision would be an “emotional roller coaster ride” but that he would “bring the real facts to light.”

He again denied the allegations his attorney Tom Mars had brought against him on Monday and promised legal action.

“The decision to terminate Coach Brannen, and the reasons stated in the resignation letter, were part of a plan established by John Cunningham to replace Coach Brannen without paying him the buyout compensation (more than $ 5 million) that Cincinnati gave him owed but couldn’t I can’t afford to pay, “Mars said of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “We have a lot to say about the reprimand and resignation letter, but we’ll let our court records speak for themselves.”

Cincinnati sacked coach John Brannen after just two seasons last month. (AP / Ron Jenkins)

More from Yahoo Sports:

© 2021 Healthy with Hines